Saturday, June 18, 2011

Downs After Dark

So, last night I went to Churchill Downs for the first time in over a year with my husband's aunt, Judy. I love the track..the horses, the walk to the paddock, the call to post...and all the wagering that goes on. Last night was Downs After Dark. It's horse racing with a lot of drinking and partying going on...much like what I envision the infield to be like when it's Derby time. I managed to bet away $25 that I didn't have to lose, but I did strike it rich on a show, winning a whopping $0.40. :)
Judy, on the other hand, bet fantastically on the last 3/4 races and won big...she celebrated with me by buying me two beers and a cheeseburger and fries for herself. I snuck 5 fries out of the basket that she didn't plan on eating. I must say, track food is pretty good.
Judy likes to go to the track and goes often. I should take lessons from her on how to bet since she is so experienced. I hope to go again with her...maybe during the fall meet later on this year.
The only thing that was missing from Friday night's racing was my husband. The Downs is always more fun when he's around.
Have you ever had a horse racing experience? Comment back and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment